2.17.2011

Menu Mania

I am LOVING making weekly menus. I'm enjoying new recipes and trying for healthier options. I haven't quite mastered the "combine-different-recipes-to-create-your-own" technique yet (I'll explain later). So for now, I'm sticking to the exact measurements.

Last week's menu:
  • Monday night: Monkey Bread and Sausage/Egg Quiche - I know Monkey Bread is NOT healthy but it's so delicious!! This turned out great. And it makes great leftovers for breakfast for the next few days :)
  • Tuesday night: Curry Lime Chicken, Sauteed Asparagus, Wild Rice - I created the curry lime chicken idea! Lime Chicken sounded so good to me but I wanted to add something. So, with my love for Indian food....I pulled out the Curry Powder. It turned out really great! I just poked holes in the chicken, put it in a ziploc, poured in Lime Juice and Curry Powder and marinated it in the fridge all day. Then, I grilled it on the George Foreman (incredible option for single people!) and it was delicious. I also marinated the asparagus in Kraft Tuscan Italian dressing and then sauteed it in a pan over the stove. This is a great, easy, quick option that I'll definitely add to my rotation!
  • Wednesday night: Cameron, Andi, and Chandler came over because Youth group was cancelled due to the snow. It was so fun to make dinner for them! (Cameron was in the kitchen too - it's impossible to keep  him out). I made Lemon Pepper Tilapia and Green Bean Bundles. Cameron and Andi brought over homemade bread and chicken and made Cameron's signature "Mayonnaise Bread Chicken". I also made chocolate chip cookies and added peanut butter. These were yummy! (I hope the snow is over because it just makes me want to bake!!) We hung out for a while and had fun as siblings with the future sib/wife!
  • Thursday night: White Chicken Chili and cornbread: [Disclaimer - I don't like broth-based soups. I only like cream-based soups.] This is a winner. It's my aunt's recipe and I LOVE it! It's super quick and easy and it makes for great leftovers (I cut the recipe in half and still had it for 3 total meals and froze some).
This week's menu"
  • Monday night: leftovers. I ran some errands that night (that didn't include the grocery store), so I just had leftovers. I treated myself to a workout, tanning, and relaxation since it was Valentine's Day.
  • Tuesday night: I made some baked Cajun Tilapia and had it with leftover Green Bean Bundles and Wild Rice. Fish is so good and it cooks so much faster than chicken! This is the night I went to the store so I made quick dinner before I left.
  • Wednesday night: Potato and Corn Chowder. This is where I learn I am not good at the combining-different-recipes technique. Let's just say...it took a lot longer than I wanted to and it only tastes okay, not excellent. It's definitely edible and I'm freezing it for leftovers (I'll probably pull it out on the random day Arkansas decides to be cold again - let's be realistic, we know it will happen in like April). So, for next time, I'll definitely stick to one recipe and hopefully it will be better.
  • Thursday night: Fiesta Chicken Casserole and guacamole. Tonight I am having 2 girls over that I discipled last year. They are super sweet! I am trying out a new recipe so hopefully it will be good. What can't be good about chicken, pasta, cheese, salsa, guacamole, and chips? I'll keep you updated!
  • Friday night: My great friend Christy is coming over for a girls' night so we will probably make homemade pizzas and something sweet!
  • Saturday night: Burgers and Fries. Cheeseburgers are easily one of my favorite foods. I am not one of those girls that goes out to a restaurant and orders a salad. My go to food at most restaurants is a Barbeque Bacon Cheeseburger cooked medium. My favorite ones have onion rings/straws on them. YUM! (I'm salivating just thinking about it). So, this Saturday, I'll  be pulling out my George Foreman, grilling me a burger, and baking me some fries! I even have seasoned salt to put on the fries. I think this will be my favorite meal this week.
Saturday night I'm having a Wedding Invitation Assembly Party for my friend! She lives in India and won't be home for a few more weeks but her invitations need to go out Monday. So, I'll be baking a cake and hanging out with friends to get these assembled!! I'm so excited to be helping with this (and it will give me great practice for if I get married one day ;)

If you have any delicious dinner ideas, I would love some feedback! :) I'm always looking for new recipes. And, if any of these sound good to you and you want the recipe, leave a comment and I'll get it to you! Happy Cooking!!

2 comments:

  1. yum!! i definitely want the fiesta chicken casserole recipe and also how long do you bake your tilapia for??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bake my tilapia on 400* for 10-20 minutes. It just depends on how many pieces and when it becomes flaky. One piece is perfect after 10-12 minutes. 3 pieces takes 20ish minutes.

    The casserole was delicious!! It's super quick and super easy to make too!

    Fiesta Chicken Casserole:
    2 cups small shell pasta
    2 cups cubed chicken
    1 jar salsa
    2 cups shredded cheese

    Cook pasta according to package directions. Cook Chicken. Cut chicken into cubes.
    Grease an 8x8 and layer pasta, chicken, salsa, then cheese.
    Cook at 350* for 20 minutes or until heated through.

    Modifications: I used 1 can of rotel instead of 1 jar of salsa and then added salsa to finish the layer. (The rotel added some spiciness so it would depend on what Canon and Ledger can handle!) I would also use more than 2 cups of chicken or less pasta. It depends on your taste, but I wanted some chicken in every bite and it didn't work that way.

    ReplyDelete